Monday, April 4, 2016

Happiness is Cool, But Joy Is Better


“Joy is a state of mind and an orientation of heart. It is a settled state of contentment, confidence, and hope.”

Joy is something I never, ever considered. My focus was always on happiness. But joy is something bigger. It is not just a smile or a laugh, as those, along with happiness, are temporary. Joy is something deeper. It’s deep inside of us; it doesn’t come easy and doesn’t leave quickly.

The other night I was lying in bed and felt a calmness. I wasn’t worried or concerned about anything. I was simply at peace. That feeling was Joy. And in that moment I knew it came from nowhere else but from God himself. 





The peace I was feeling let me know everything was good and would continue as such. It was the confirmation that I was finally at peace with my life; no longer concerned with keeping up with others or comparing myself. Coming off of writing my 2015 Reflection post about loving mine, I know changing my perspective on my life is what has brought about this joy; a joy that I can honestly say I am experiencing for the first time ever in my life. 

As much as I used to try not to worry and not be anxious about my future, I can now confidently say, I’m not worried about it; God’s leading me. And as much as I had to tell myself to live in the moment and not get distracted by things of this world, I can honestly say I am now focused on the right things. Those previous distractions no longer come to mind and I no longer have to battle with myself about choosing where my focus should go.




Sometimes things get hard and I do feel discouraged. But my mind is now clear so I’m able to get myself together a lot faster. I am more confident, I am at peace with my past decisions, I am calm about where I’m going, and I am content in my current position. And I owe all of these new feelings to joy.


“If you can’t find any reason to be joyous, something in your life needs to change.”




No comments :

Post a Comment