Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Melanie Martinez: Blogger, Mental Health Advocate, & Graphic Designer

What do you get when you mix Melanie Martinez + style and fashion + a lil’ ice cream on top? You get the lifestyle blog MEL À LA MODE.

By day, Mel is a Marketing Coordinator. But after 5pm, she switches things up by delving further into her interests of blogging, graphic design, and brand consulting. 

MEL À LA MODE is the platform where all of those interests intersect. It’s where Mel gets to be all versions of herself and it’s where she connects with the world, one story at a time.
This NYC born Cuban/Dominican has always had a desire to connect with people; and she’s been doing that since the age of 18. That’s when Mel first started sharing her personal emotions and thoughts via her first blog.
“I wanted to create a platform where I could share odes to the things, culture, and ideas that move me.”
Since then, and various blogs later, Mel started professionally blogging in 2013. A year later, she was nominated for “Top NYC Blogger” at the Latino Trendsetter Awards by LatinTRENDS Magazine.
In the interview below, Mel talks about her love of music, the importance of having a vision, her interest in mental health, and so much more.

Where did your interest in mental health come from?

My interest in mental health activism came about while on a personal journey to rebuild myself. Having suffered from depression and generalized anxiety for most of my life, I decided to break my silence last spring in a Weekly Wisdom blog post. At that point, I had been writing candidly for a few years, but that instance was the first time I really bared my soul. After experiencing waves of gratitude for my honesty on a topic that is so taboo, especially in the Latino community, I realized my voice is a conduit through which awareness could flow.
Read More: Here

No comments :

Post a Comment