Tuesday, November 24, 2015

When Pens Collide ~ A Night of Inspiration & Revelation



So about last Saturday night. When Pens Collide was an intimate event that took place at the lovely Draper Art Studio in The Bronx. We nine featured writers, in all black everything and our colorful scarves, sat on one side of the room; while the readers/attendees for the event sat on the other. Surrounded by great pieces of art, we all mingled, laughed, and drank some of the best wine I’ve ever tasted. 

Prior to the event I had no idea what I was in for. I just knew I had to read two pieces of work written by other featured writers. And that three of my pieces (from this blog) would also be read aloud. The same would be done by and for the other eight writers too. None of us knew which pieces got picked from our blogs or whose pieces we would be reading for the event. 

When talking to When Pens Collide creator, Tassika, I understood that the point of the event was for us writers to hear our words read aloud. But I had no idea what that would actually look, feel, and sound like until we got started.





Many of us featured writers subscribe to the notion that once we write it and post it, that’s it. We’re not going back and reading it again. So when it was my turn to sit in the hot seat and have my pieces read back to me, I sat there thinking, “Wow, I wrote that?”  

It was then that I got a clear understanding of what we were doing. Hearing my words read by Ashley and Roconia brought about a new sense of motivation. I felt like my words were important and encouraging, but more so, they are needed. I often say this blog is simply a way for me to get my thoughts and feelings out of my head. But I also know this blog has a following and my words are of comfort and inspiration to readers.

However, my “Ahh-Haa moment” came when Tassika read one of Ashley’s pieces. The piece Ashley had written was about a personal matter she experienced. Ashley wrote about her experience to encourage other woman who may go through something similar. Well it turned out that Tassika recently went through that same experience. This moment reminded me that there are no coincidences in life and that I need to go a little deeper in my writing.

For a while now I have been feeling like I only scratch the surface when it comes to writing about my personal experiences. And although there are certain life experiences I will never write about (I have to keep some parts of my life to myself), there are several other things that I should share. I know I need to do this because it’s been on my mind to do so for a while now. And seeing how impactful it was when Tassika read Ashley’s words regarding a common situation, I was reminded of what this event was about and why iWrite. It’s all about the shared experiences, inspiration, and relatability.  
So as I go back and forth with the idea of going deeper in 2016, I will continue to be amazed by the beautiful blogging community that I have come to be a part of. 

All eight of you women are truly amazing and I appreciate what you contribute to this world.

Special shout out to Sharee for being such a gracious hostess and for pouring through all of us writers’ work for the event. 



To Ashley (The Sunshine) for literally being the ray of light in the room, and reminding us that her Philly can and will come out when necessary, LOL.

To Erica (The Curator of Souls) for just being so all-around dope!

To Lissa-Marie (The Journal) for keeping it all the way real with her reactions to the pieces being read and for her side bar about mental health.

To Roconia (The Revolution) for writing so clearly and thoroughly about her life experiences.

To Shefon (The Ballet) for reading each piece as if she were performing them and giving the writer’s words a life of their own.

To Tassika (The Soundtrack) for being an amazing woman and seeing the passion within each of us writers and for bringing us all together. And also, for deeming my words worthy enough to be included.

To Tyece (The Grit) for having the ability to make this writing thing look so easy.

To Yetti (The Glass of Wine) for maintaining her privacy, while being open enough to share her struggles and life changing experiences.

And to myself (The Alter), keep going. Someone needs to hear your story.





2 comments :

  1. well said! It was definitely a pleasure meeting you and hearing your work. I look forward to seeing the evolution of your writing in 2016! until the next #whenpenscollide - Christina "the best friend"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great meeting you too. Thank you so much for attending the event.

      Delete