Tuesday, November 3, 2015

"On Becoming Fearless"



“But if the voice is just mindlessly nit-picking and running us down, we have a responsibility to lower the volume. If we let these voices deplete our energies, they will. Since the comparison game is a game that no one can win, why play in the first place?” 

-Arianna Huffington










The above quote is my favorite from On Becoming Fearless, by Arianna Huffington. This book truly has the ability to change anyone’s perspective on fear and how it can shape your life. No matter what your fear is: kids, career, relationships, etc –Arianna covers it all. 

The major lesson I learned from reading this book is that fear is always going to be around. The way I choose to deal with my fear is the only way I will truly overcome it. I have also learned that I don't always have to look at fear as a bad thing. Being fearful of something can actually be the one piece of motivation I need to conquer it.







Below are ten quotes from Arianna, from within the book, that I found to be 
really helpful and interesting.



 “To live exuberantly, we must be prepared to illuminate the dark spots in ourselves.”

"Fearlessness is like a muscle. The more you exercise it, the more natural 
it becomes to not let your fears run you."

  "Being fearless doesn't mean living a life devoid of fear, 
but living a life in which our fears don't hold us back."

"When we feel we constantly have to prove ourselves at work, 
we give priority to our jobs over everything and everyone else."

  "Children brought up to feel that their lives have a 
larger purpose are more likely to keep their own troubles in perspective."

"The first step toward changing the world is to change our 
vision of the world and of our place in it."

    "Naysayers have little power over us -- unless we give it to them."

   "Making the choice to move forward despite fear is an 
evolved decision that transcends our animal nature."

"A fear-driven life is a life not fully lived."

  "When u get in touch with your true self, that's when your inner beauty can reveal itself."



2 comments :

  1. Thank you for this. When I think of fear I always think how I am not fearless when it comes to my writing career. I want to be. I need to be. But I have not gotten over it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just know, it's something we all struggle with. You're not alone :)

      Delete