Thursday, November 12, 2015

"I'll Be Over Here"



Have you ever been somewhere and felt completely out of place? Whether it was because of age, comfort level, or just simply due to lack of interest in the people around you…this feeling is something I’ve experienced a lot lately. I often find myself going to places with people just to get out of the house. But while there, I’m quickly reminded of why home is actually where I prefer to be.


It also reminds me that I need to make sure I’m surrounding myself with like-minded people, who have similar interests. If not for worth wild conversations, then simply for the sake of my sanity. Everything doesn’t have to be “Lit” and every situation doesn’t warrant a “Turn up.” Or maybe I’m just different, either way I am so not with it. And thankfully, I am not the only one.




All of these thoughts came to mind the other day when I first heard Alessia Cara’s song, “Here.” It was the perfect reminder that most of the stuff some people around me like, I don’t. And that’s okay. Everything is not for everyone. As Alessia says in the song,

“I'm sorry if I seem uninterested
Oh I'm not listenin', oh I'm indifferent
Truly I ain't got no business here”

 Different people require different things. I prefer simple, calm, and chill. I prefer to be around those who care about me and have nothing but the best wishes and intentions for me. I can’t surround myself with or be in places that don’t serve a purpose, it’s not healthy. And when I do find myself in those situation, I am completely fine with either removing myself or taking a seat somewhere until the folks I’m with are ready to go… all while making a mental note not to make the mistake of repeating this experience again.

“I should've never come to this
So holla at me, I'll be in the car when you're done
I'm stand-offish, don't want what you're offerin'”

Thankfully, my-like minded friends are always on the same page as me, no matter what. There is always a goal being worked towards, a conversation worth participating in, and subtle reminders that these are the ones who I need to keep in my circle.

Somewhere with my people, we can kick it and just listen to
Some music with a message, (Like we usually do)
And we'll discuss our big dreams, how we plan, to take over the planet”

It’s all about preferences. While others like one thing, I prefer another. And while others look at me as boring and/or standoffish, I have to remain true to me. Because any bit of inauthenticity is not cool and would only cause me to take steps in the wrong direction.


I have no problem separating myself and standing out or being different. 







2 comments :

  1. I can relate to this at times...and this is why my circle is small. �� ( I love "Here"!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. Only keep the real ones near!

      Delete