Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Life Through the Eyes of A 5-Year-Old


Toward the end of 2014 I started volunteering at an after school program, helping Kindergarten and first graders with their homework. Within the few months of volunteering I had grown very fond of the entire class. From constantly having to tell many to stay in their seats and not shout out answers, to the soft spoken few, who I have to ask to repeat their answers so everyone can hear them; I truly loved every single little inquisitive personality. It was then that I understood why teachers often refer to their students as their kids.

Five and six-year-olds are innocent in so many ways. They only think and worry about what is in front of them. They don’t deal with anything else until it comes up. Their minds don’t even process the concept of bills and making sure there is food on the table. They’re not concerned with the things of tomorrow, they live in the moment. Their most worrisome thoughts are who gets to help pass out snacks and who will be selected as line leader for the walk to the drinking fountain.

While volunteering I wasn’t sure of the impact I had on the kids or if I even made one at all. But they changed my outlook on how I go about my day. Being around those carefree attitudes twice a week, four months straight, caused me to reevaluate my stressful lifestyle.

Read More: Here

No comments :

Post a Comment