Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Keep Moving


The push to move on to the next big thing in your life can come out of nowhere. As was the case for me last week. For a while I have been struggling with deciding where to take my writing career. Some days I feel like I just want to write books and do nothing else. Other days, I want to be this poppin’ freelance writer, with amazing page views on my blog. But most recently I’ve had the desire to go into teaching.

While I know it’s very possible to do all three, I’ve been leaning towards writing books and teaching. I’ve actually been leaning toward this teaching thing for over a year now; yet other than researching course programs, I haven’t done much of anything to get started. Fact is, I was comfortable. Comfortable in the schedule I had carved out for myself—writing and working on personal projects in the morning and working part-time in the afternoon. And whenever I would think about moving into teaching, I would push it to the side thinking I would get into it later.





But last week I received an email about my evening position. While the email mentioned nothing other than the usual information I receive on a weekly basis, my mind somehow read the words, “Tamika, move on!”

I paused and thought, “Am I trippin’? Where did that just come from?” In the hours that followed, I kept thinking about how an email on a totally different topic could cause me to feel so strongly about moving on with my career. I then decided to call and discuss it with my mother. She told me, “Maybe the email was the push that you needed.” And that’s when it hit me, I shouldn’t be getting comfortable in anything I’m doing. Everything should be a stepping stone in the direction that leads to accomplishing my goals.

In addition, every time I keep getting closer to what I think is the end of my path, the path should grow. Meaning as I evolve and grow, my path should too. Hence, why I should never get comfortable, especially when it comes to my career.

Yes, having specific goals are vital and achieving them is important. But each goal should be a rest stop on your path, not a destination. Once a goal is accomplished, of course we are happy and take time to celebrate it. But being comfortable in that state is not good. Expanding yourself and moving on to what’s next is key.


And that is my current position in life. I can certainly see the finish line on about three different things I have been working on since moving to NYC. And with that it’s time to push on to the next big thing, grow my path, and set new goals to achieve.



1 comment :

  1. It must be something in the air. Everyone seem to have written about goals in one way or the other. I just posted a piece about being a #DreamerWithPlans. It's important to push forward. Thanks for sharing what you are feeling about goals.

    ReplyDelete