Friday, August 21, 2015

Words Have Power


“Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me.” Never has there been a phrase that was so far from the truth. There have been many instances in my life when I in fact wished bones were actually broken, instead of having to hear certain words being spoken to me.

Words have power. They have the power to change our feelings and behavior. It’s like when people say, “Don’t call a child bad because they will grow up to actually be bad.” Well the same holds true for everything that comes out of our mouths. Our words literally have the power to create or destroy; whether in our own lives, or that of another person’s.

When you speak negatively about yourself or your situation, you feel negative on the inside. And that negative feeling can be the determining factor between you getting up and doing something or completely giving up. For years I worked in the advertising industry and because it wasn’t my passion, I really disliked my job. I never had anything positive to say about it and that made everything worse than it actually was. I complained and complained, and never did anything to change my situation. All I focused on was the bad, because everything that came out of my mouth was bad. Had I spoke positively about the few good things that position offered, I know my time there would have went a lot smoother and my attitude would have been better. I know it’s easy to say now because I’m not in that situation any more, but hindsight is always 20/20. And the lesson I learned then is something I continue to apply to my life now.

Read More: Here


No comments :

Post a Comment