Friday, August 28, 2015

Why My Brother Will Always Be My Best Friend


I was in Rite-Aid shopping for a few things and chatting with my older brother Guillermo on my phone. The music playing in the store was a song I’d heard before but didn’t know all the words to. While confidently making up my own words to the melody, I loudly sang them to him. I wanted to see if Guillermo could guess the name of the song. He said my singing was horrible, LOL. But after I got to the most recognizable part of the chorus, he figured it out; and we both started singing Billy Idol’s, “Mony:”

                        “Don’t stop cookin’ cause I feel all right now, hey!
                        “I said yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah,”
                        “(Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah).”


That is until I realized I was in the middle of the toothpaste aisle singing and doing way too much. This experience of random singing pretty much sums up the hilarity of my relationship with Guillermo. We didn’t always get along though (as kids tend not to), and even certain times in our adult relationship have been testy. But once we hit a certain age Guillermo truly became my best friend. 

When I moved across the country from my family, I was really concerned with how my relationship with them would be affected. But my move has only made my bond with them stronger, especially with Guillermo. Our conversations go from funny and casual, to sometimes necessary and serious. I can talk to him about anything and I’ve grown to value his opinions. And because my relationship with him is so important to me, it’s hard for me to understand how other siblings don’t get along or never speak to each other.

Read More: Here

No comments :

Post a Comment