Tuesday, May 12, 2015

The Time Keeper

"In Mitch Albom's newest work of fiction, the inventor of the world's first clock is punished for trying to measure God's greatest gift. He is banished to a cave for centuries and forced to listen to the voices of all who come after him seeking more days, more years. Eventually, with his soul nearly broken, Father Time is granted his freedom, along with a magical hourglass and a mission: a chance to redeem himself by teaching two earthly people the true meaning of time. 

He returns to our world-now dominated by the hour-counting he so innocently began-and commences a journey with two unlikely partners: one a teenage girl who is about to give up on life, the other a wealthy old businessman who wants to live forever. To save himself, he must save them both. And stop the world to do so. Told in Albom's signature spare, evocative prose, this remarkably original tale will inspire readers everywhere to reconsider their own notions of time, how they spend it and how precious it truly is." -Mitch Albom 





I often see people tweet, “I will sleep when I die.” Meaning their grinding and working so hard, sleeping is not an option. Whenever I see this I always feel like maybe I’m doing something wrong. Am I wasting time because I go to sleep at night? Am I not using my time wisely? Should I stay up all night to get projects completed? Even though I wonder about these things, I will always make sure I get a good night’s rest. As I previously wrote about HERE, I get a lot of inspiration right before I fall asleep.

The issue of time, and not having enough, is something we are all consumed by. It runs our lives, it determines what we will and won’t do, and where we will and won’t go. Enjoying the moment is never the first thing on our minds because we’re always wondering what time it is.




The Time Keeper is about Father Time and how he came to measure the sun and create time. He became so obsessed with measuring the sun (time) that he missed out on his life. In addition, the book also follows two other characters, Victor and Sarah. Victor wants to live forever, while Sarah wants to die. Father Time brings these two together to show them what the future would look like if they went through with their plans.

For the last couple of years I've been more aware of living. Yes, it’s something we all do, but for years prior I felt like I was just going through the motions of life- doing what I was supposed to, not what I wanted. With time constantly on my mind, when it comes to my career, I sometimes feel like I've wasted it or don't have enough of it.

The Time Keeper is just another reminder for me to live in the moment. Enjoy my life and not be so worried about running out of or wasting time. I don’t ever want to look back on my life and think, “I should have made more time to live.”


Below are a few of my favorite quotes from the book:

"Time is not something you give back. The very next moment may be an answer to your prayer. To deny that is to deny the most important part of the future...hope."

"They fill every waking minute with action, but they are empty."

"With endless time nothing is special. With no loss or sacrifice we can't appreciate what we have."

"There is a reason why God limits our days... to make each one precious."

“I lived, but was not alive."

"There was always a quest for more minutes, more hours, faster progress to accomplish more in each day. The simple joy of living between sunrises was gone."

"Never too late or too soon."


No comments :

Post a Comment