Thursday, May 21, 2015

Stop Stalling and Get to Work


If you've been following this blog for any amount of time, then you've probably noticed I write a lot about inspiration. I have covered this topic on all levels: from how I inspire and how others inspire me, to where inspiration can come from. But there comes a time when inspiration has to remain just that, and you have to start putting in the work.

I had to remind myself of this last week. You see, I’m the type to get super organized and have all the necessary materials and be completely prepared for whatever task or project I plan to start. But lately my problem has been putting in the work. Again, I’ll find all kinds of inspiration and will be motivated to do something. But when it comes to the actual process of doing it, something happens. I get lazy, distracted, or I get in my own way. I don’t know why I allow this to happen to me. This feeling of resistance arises when writing of any aspect comes about. And this has me scared. Scared that I won’t meet my personal deadlines.






For example, I have a three week period of time coming up before my summer job starts. So because I am a super planner, you already know I have a calendar planned out with all the work I plan to do during that time. But what scares me is that I will get lazy or will want to go do something else with my free time (It will be summer in NYC, duh!).


In the days and weeks leading up to this three weeks of writing that I plan on doing, I keep giving myself pep-talks. I keep reminding myself that no one else can make my dreams a reality. And in order for my dream to become a reality I have to stop stalling and get to work. Being inspired by others and by different things is fine and great. But none of that inspiration matters if I don’t sit down at my desk and do the work.

I recently saw someone tweet, “Inspiration can't replace creation.” And they were so right. I’m not sure exactly what my problem is with getting my stuff done, but I have to go hard and use my time wisely in order to finish. Wish me luck!


6 comments :

  1. Yasss and we have all been there. I'm battling this a bit now. I have so much on my plate it's ridic and I find myself losing motivation sometimes - mostly because caring for an infant takes up most of my energy throughout the day. I always find my mojo to get back to work. I'm sure you will too!! Great post!

    Neosha - www.itsratedngee.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're able to find your mojo after taking care of an infant, I really have no excuses LOL.
      Thanks!

      Delete
  2. [ Not sure if my comment went through the first time ]

    I'm rooting for you, you've got this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hun. I'm following in your footsteps and working this weekend.

      Delete
  3. Um, this is my entire life. I have all these grand ideas and plans but I allow myself to back out of them because I'm afraid, lack motivation, etc. But a major advantage for you is your ability to plan. Plenty of folks don't even get that far. Good luck w/everything:)

    ReplyDelete