Thursday, March 26, 2015

"To All the Little Black Girls With Big Names"



The issue of names that sound “black” has been around for as long as I can remember. I used to hear about it a lot when I was growing up, as I know a lot of people who chose to give their child a more "professional" sounding name. These parents validated their decision with the excuse of, “A certain type of name will help my child ‘get ahead in life.’”

To each its own… do with your kids what you will. But this issue of name discrimination seems ridiculous to me. Take Quvenzhane Wallis (pictured above). Her name has nothing to do with her acting skills.

Just because some black women have “Big Names,” does not mean they are less capable of being successful- even though our society still tends to judge books by their covers…   






"Sha'Condria "iCon" Sibley's poem 'To All the Little Black Girls With Big Names' deconstructs the bias women with creative names experience. iCon refuses to accept the shame others try to impose." -For Harriet









1 comment :

  1. Love this!!! Yasss to big names and even bigger success!!!


    NeoshaGEE- www.itsratedngee.com

    ReplyDelete