Thursday, March 5, 2015

Ahyiana Angel: Author


Meet California based Author Ahyiana Angel. Her first published book, Preseason Love, was released on October 21, 2014.

"I want to write for women like me. Professional women who are 
career driven, ambitious, and adventurous, but still finding their 
way through the ups and downs in life and love." 

After starting her writing career in the summer of 2013, Ahyiana's freelance writing has been featured on Essence.com, xoJane.com, and several others. And with her blog, Life According to Her, Ahyiana talks about all things relationship, travel, and career related.  

In the interview below Ahyiana chats about Preseason Love, the publishing process, and what her career path change from PR to writing has done for her.






TameeksB: What is Preseason Love about? 

Ahyiana Angel: Preseason Love is about an emotionally conflicted sports publicist, Scottie Malveaux, who has a great boyfriend, but she does not know how to accept him treating her so well because it is foreign to her. As a result, she steps out on him with a professional athlete.

TameeksB: Where did your desire to write this book come from? 

Ahyiana Angel: Ive always been a creative writer. Writing is what drew me to PR as a profession. When I first moved to New York I had the idea to write a novel with a publicist as the main character. Life got in the way, so I didnt revisit the novel writing idea until years later when I decided that I wanted to go in a different direction with my career. Once I really started thinking about the story that I wanted to tell, I pulled the ideas from what was going on around me and everything started to flow. 


TameeksB: What do you want readers to take away from this book? 

Ahyiana Angel: First, I want readers to be entertained.I want readers to feel like they know the main character, Scottie. They will realize through their girlfriend Scotties experiences that the age old lesson still applies: the grass is not always greener on the other side. Also, that you cant take people for granted, because once you realize what you have it may be too late.

TameeksB: What was the most surprising thing you learned throughout the entire writing/publishing process? 

Ahyiana Angel: One of the most surprising things that I learned is that as a writer you will always see additional edits that you would like to make to your work even after it is published. Prior to this experience, I did not know how many times one manuscript will be edited before it goes to print. I also learned that if people like your work they will want more. That is a great feeling.

TameeksB: Like myself, prior to writing you were on a different career path. You chose to leave the PR world behind to pursue a career in writing. How do you feel about that decision? How has the change benefited you?  

Ahyiana Angel: I am completely happy with my decision to leave sports PR to pursue a writing career. Id worked in entertainment PR for so long that I felt it had run its course in my life. It was time for a change and a new challenge. The decision to write a novel and embark on a writing career has taught me so much about myself and what I want out of life. It has also allowed me the opportunity to meet and work with some really interesting and dynamic people.

TameeksB: Any advice for aspiring authors/writers? 

Ahyiana Angel: My advice for aspiring authors would be: do your research. Consume as much information as possible. Attend webinars, classes, workshops and anything else that will assist you in developing your craft and understanding the business. I will be hosting a publishing workshop in Oakland, CA on March 14 titled "Publish That Book!" It will be an interactive class exploring traditional and self-publishing for aspiring authors. 




 Ahyianaangel.comInstagramTwitterFacebookYouTube





No comments :

Post a Comment