Tuesday, February 3, 2015

A New Address


With the exception of moving from my parents’ house to the college dorms, every move I've ever made in my life has always been for the better. I've never looked back, thought twice, or regretted any of them.

The first two years of my New York City experience took place in the Ditmas Park/Flatbush section of Brooklyn. Living in Brooklyn was great (I previously wrote about it here and here). It was a nice segue from Cali living to NYC life. But that BK neighborhood was very family centered. Other than the stores the Flatbush area offered, I had to get on the train for at least 20 minutes just to get to any major store. Of course the neighborhood had grocery stores and bodegas, but it was mostly made up of houses. This historic district of Brooklyn is great for someone who is married and raising kids. But for someone who was fresh from out of state and was looking for the fast-paced NYC life, the neighborhood was such a bore.



But because I got comfortable in my apartment I ended up staying there for two years. And when it was time to renew my least at the end of the second year, I decided it was time for a change. That decision led to a long apartment search that ended in the vibrant neighborhood of Washington Heights.

Within my first week in this neighborhood, I knew I'd made the right decision in moving here. Everything is so convenient. Instead of having to get on a train for everything, I can now walk up the block and I'm met with everything from Dominican food and a Payless Shoe Store, to my choice of several hair salons and many different train lines (In Brooklyn I only had the Q train).
Besides the convenience, I love the culture that is displayed. I especially love how thorough and detailed the murals on various buildings are. The art museums, schools, the people; everything seems so lively and upbeat here. This has me beyond excited to see how much more vibrant and full of life the neighborhood becomes during the spring and summer months.

After living in New York for over two years, I finally feel like I'm getting the full NYC experience. I am very thankful for my Brooklyn neighborhood, but my Washington Heights neighborhood (so far) seems to be exactly what I always wanted.



No comments :

Post a Comment