Tuesday, January 13, 2015

R&B Quotable: Jazmine Sullivan


"Yeah my hair and my ass fake, but so what?
I get my rent paid with it and my tits get me trips
To places I can't pronounce right
He said he'd keep it coming if I keep my body tight
And them b!tches stay mad cause I'm living the life
‘Cause I'm living the life, oh
Most people think I'm shallow
‘Cause I'm always dressed like I'm going out to the club
But I gotta keep up cause it's new chicks poppin' up everyday
And they want the same thang"

Jazmine Sullivan




Jazmine Sullivan has a great sultry voice, I could listen to just about anything she sings. As is the case with her latest single, “Mascara.” The song tells the tale of a lifestyle I am not familiar with; the one in which women use their bodies to get what they want (a gold digger).


Jazmine has done something with this song that I have never seen/heard in music before. Usually women who live like this do get mentioned in songs, but never have I heard their rationale told so thoroughly. 

As someone who doesn’t have women who act this way in their circle, the song peaked my curiosity. It’s interesting to listen to Jazmine sing about how important it is to work out and not leave home without makeup, because a potential “Suga Daddy” might be watching (paraphrasing). 


In another part of the song, Jazmine goes on to sing about other women who, "stay mad because they working so hard." To be completely honest, I can relate to this line. Often times I look at women who live the lifestyle Jazmine is singing about and I get pissed off. It pisses me off because I make it a point to carry myself a certain way and put forth plenty of effort into my goals and dreams. All while some women choose to focus only on their appearance to get ahead in life; and it continually pays off for them.

It's definitely not a jealousy on my part, but more so of a “why do things come so easy for her, while I struggle to get ahead?"


Although I have never entertained the idea of going the route of using my body for a come up, I have often thought about how different, and maybe easier, things would be if I didn't put fourth so much effort into my career. I look at many of my peers and watch them move through life without a care in the world. I often think how lucky they are not to have to worry about writing deadlines, networking events, social media promos, website content, and all the other stuff that fills my head daily.


But then I think of the six years I spent living my life with no purpose or direction. The image of myself sitting in a cubicle quickly gets my mind right. That image reminds me of why I put in so much work and effort- because I don’t want that life again. Nor do I want a life that is only as good as my body, or a man who is willing to sustain my lifestyle because of it.

Peace to Jazmine for representing the other side of the coin. As I too:  


"Never leave the house without makeup on
I keep mascara in my pocket if I'm running to the market
‘Cause you never know who's watching you
So I got to stay on, (I-I)I got to stay on
I got to stay on, I got to stay on
Said I got to stay on!"

However, the mascara and the face full of makeup doesn't make me. If I happen to leave home without either, I'm still confident in who I am and what I do to have a productive day.




Seeing as though “Mascara” is only a song about a particular lifestyle, and not the one Jazmine Sullivan is living. I thought I would include this video of her talking about the insecurities she faces in the music industry and how she deals with them.




Stream Jazmine's new album "Reality Show" Here




2 comments :

  1. This is interesting. I've had opportunities before to end up in that type of lifestyle, but I just couldn't bring myself to do so. I would be better off financially probably but I can't imagine depending on someone else for resources, or caring that much about my looks. I care about my looks and take care of myself but not to the extent that is necessary to live that life.

    I do feel jealous and envy sometimes when I see how easy they seem to have it, but then I remember that I have other goals in mind and there is nothing to be jealous of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right! What may seem to work for some, doesn't always work for others. Focusing on our own lives and paths is what's most important. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete