Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Being Thankful in Your Current Position




“He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with what he would like to have.” ― Socrates
One of the main things I struggle with is the fact that I am not where I feel I should be. This goes for many areas in my life, including romance and career. With my mind being so focused on how to achieve my goals and conquering the next big obstacle in my life, I never sit and appreciate the things I have and how far I’ve come. Basically, I’m never content in my current place.

Some may argue that being content is not something to strive for because it can lead to complacency. When I refer to being content, I mean it in terms of being happy with where you are. And not always complaining about not being where you feel you should be.  
As Socrates said, when you’re not content with what you currently have, you will never be content when you achieve what you’ve been seeking… the cycle will always continue.



With the new year rapidly approaching, here are a few suggestions on how to keep yourself grounded and thankful.

1.       A Blessing Jar: Anytime something good happens to you, write it down and put it in the jar.
2.       A Positivity Journal: Write about positive experiences as they happen to you, in detail.
3.       10 Things Daily: Every night before going to bed, write down ten things that you are thankful for, that happened throughout the day.


Consider doing one or all of the above for a specific amount of time. Then go back and read what you wrote. By occasionally doing this, you will notice a change in your attitude regarding your current position. A renewing of your mind will take place and will ultimately help you appreciate the little things. In addition, re-reading your positive experiences will motivate you to continue working towards your goals and life passion.

Being mindful of your current situation and being content in it is important. But remember, be content with what you have- meaning be thankful for where you are. Never be so content that you stop pushing to achieve your goals or reaching the next level.





No comments :

Post a Comment