Friday, September 12, 2014

Keep Encouraging Yourself



Encouragement is all around us. It can be found in one simple word, within a lengthy conversation, or through an act of kindness. My main source of encouragement comes from seeing those around me doing well and prospering. And with constantly seeing all the different endeavors discussed and promoted on social media, there’s rarely a time when I don’t feel encouraged by the determination of others.

But every now and then there are those occasions when anger sets in. Instead of feeling that push of inspiration to keep going, I see others prospering and wonder, “How are they winning while I continue to struggle?” Then I start comparing my path to that of others.

Because I am usually encouraged by what I see, encouraging myself is something I often forget to do. I am a creature of habit. I am the type to go through the motions of knowing exactly what has to be done daily. My mindset is always, this is what I have to do so let me get it done. But sometimes going through the motions, in addition to seeing others prosper, takes a toll on me. It also causes me to lose focus of why I’m pushing so hard, and then I think about giving up. 



When my mindset gets to this point I know it’s time for me to take a step back and get my priorities together. The last thing I ever want to do is give up on my dreams and remove myself from the race of achieving my goals. In order to keep going I remind myself of why I am doing what I do, where I am going, and what my ultimate destination is. I reassure myself that I am on the right path and that I need to stay the course of it.
  
In addition to a pep talk, one of the best ways I encourage myself is through music. Lyrics are a huge source of inspiration and Smokie Norful’s “Run Til I Finish” does just that. The song is simple, with lyrics that repeat. But the words are so infectious that it’s hard not to feel some type of motivation.

“I have decided, determined I'm committed,
That I'll run, no matter the cost,

And I have decided, determined I'm committed
That I'll run, even though at times I may get lost,

I'm going to finish my race, I'm going to take my proper place
In the winning circle,

I'm going to run anyway, I don't know where or when or how
But I know that I'm going to make it,

Oh I'll run this race, nestled safely in amazing grace,
I've made up my mind, and I don't have much time,
But I'll run, Til I Finish


No one knows where you are headed better than you. Continue to encourage yourself and keep pushing toward your own standards of success.  





No comments :

Post a Comment