Tuesday, September 23, 2014

I Write


"Writing is an extreme privilege but it's also a gift. It's a gift to yourself and it's a gift of giving a story to someone."- Amy Tan


My biggest pet peeve is when people are unaware of their tone of voice. Regardless of what their saying, their tone is what I always respond to. And often times it will shape how I respond to them. But the opposite holds true for my writing.

A few years back, I attended a writing class in which we always read our pieces out loud. I would listen to my classmates’ pieces and think, "Wow, these people write so beautifully. I wana write like that too." Their work was filled with these big words that I’d never heard. And their sentence structures literally made their words sing. 




And that desire has held true for a few years now, especially when I read the works of fellow bloggers. But the other day, everything changed. It happened when someone asked, "Tamika, why do you write?"

My response: "I write because I have a testimony. I write to encourage those who are where I once was. For those who don't see light at the end of the tunnel. For those who feel trapped. And for those who need an extra push."

In saying this… it hit me. It’s not about how I write it, it’s about what I write. It’s about the message I’m trying to get across. So even though I do not look at my work as beautiful prose, I take pleasure in knowing it's relatable and inspiring.

Writing is my gift that I choose to share. Presenting it in a raw and straightforward way is what works best for me. And based on feedback I've received, it’s what works best for the reader too.





No comments :

Post a Comment