Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Coconut Oil Pulling


I first learned about Coconut Oil Pulling on xoVain and millions of other places online. 

So what exactly is it: 
"...oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic treatment that simply consists of swishing high-quality oil in your mouth for 20 minutes, without swallowing it... the process is supposed to attract and remove bacteria, toxins, and parasites that live in your mouth or lymph system."



And what does it do:
"Oil pulling supposedly makes your teeth whiter and your general health better. Some websites also mention that it's good for detox and rejuvenation."

With this info, along with additional research, I decided to try it. I bought the coconut oil (pictured below) and start oil pulling on January 1st of this year.


In the beginning it was hard to swish the oil around in my mouth for a full 10 mins. But after about two weeks of consistently trying, I was able to work my way up to 20 mins, and sometimes longer. I was able to do this by  finding something to do ( check email, shower, wash face) to take my mind off of the oil in my mouth. It made the time go by faster. 

The picture below is literally all it takes. Oil pulling is very simple. Move the coconut oil around in your mouth, from side to side, and in between your teeth.



My Results:
When I started oil pulling at the beginning of the year, I also started a few new other healthy routines so I'm not sure if the oil pulling alone is responsible for the changes I've noticed in my skin. But I have noticed that my sinuses are a lot clearer. Swishing the oil around in my mouth every morning bring up any mucus (Ewww, sorry) that may have formed during the night.  

But the real reason I started oil pulling was because I wanted to see what kinds of changes I would notice in my oral health. I personally can't see any difference. So the real test will be when I go to the dentist in May.

Besides skin and oral heath benefits, oil pulling is said to improve a lot of things in the body. Google it so you can learn more. There are plenty of personal stories and plenty of sites that list the different benefits of coconut oil pulling. And check out the xoVain site. They have additional info on coconut oil pulling and helpful tips about skin care, make-up, hair, and a bunch of other stuff.


2 comments :