Monday, October 28, 2013

THIS WILL NEVER BE FUNNY!


It seems like every year around this time the issue of Blackface comes up. Why people
think it's funny to paint their faces black for Halloween is beyond my understanding. 
Blackface WILL NEVER BE FUNNY. 

On Saturday night the picture below was all over my Instagram. These people are way out 
of line for not only the Blackface, but for also mocking the death of Trayvon Martin.

Many people tweeted that they were not going to give the photo attention because it was 
exactly why these three people dressed this way in the first place.

Well I'm giving the picture attention because clearly this is something
that needs to be discussed until people understand that they shouldn't do it.




I find this tasteless, offensive, and rude. And as I did last year in this Blackface post, 
I will continue to blog about this topic to bring awareness to it. 

And if you don't know why Blackface is offensive, go do a Google search.

In addition, sometime last week this happened:

"Never a good idea ever. The 25-year-old actress Tweeted a picture and posted an Instagram of her friends dressed as characters from Netflix’s “Orange Is the New Black.” 
Julianne Hough was dressed as Susan ‘Crazy Eyes’ Warren. She had the costume, identical knotted hair, and an ID badge around her neck, but it was the dark makeup on her neck and face that was problematic."

Hough later apologized saying: “It certainly was never my intention to be disrespectful or demeaning to anyone in any way. I realize my costume hurt and offended people and I truly apologize.” - AJC


"A student group at Ohio University called Students Teaching About Racism in Society (STARS) has taken it upon themselves to remind schoolmates that dressing up like a member of a different culture may affect others negatively." -Fusion.Net 







2 comments :