Friday, July 12, 2013

"You Don't Speak Spanish?"


I came across an article titled "Non-Spanish Fluent Latina's: 'Don't Judge Us'" and could relate to various parts of it. Not that I ever feel like a "fake" Latina because I don't speak Spanish fluently, but I do experience a bit of hesitation when meeting other Latinos. 

I usually wonder what they think when I tell them I'm not fluent.


But then I quickly get over it because not knowing Spanish doesn't make me less of who I am. 

Below are a few parts of the article that stood out to me:

“I think being Latina is about having pride in your heritage. Although I am not a fluent Spanish speaker and I can’t make every dish without a recipe... I know my family history and I have learned the important traditions…"

"I just think people need to stop judging one another, especially within our own community... We are not all the same- Latinos vary greatly depending on their class, level of assimilation, and country or countries of origin..."

"I think progress for us lies in our ability to express how varied we are and accept one another for our differences instead of holding each other to certain standards which basically reinforce the concept that we should all look and sound the same way.” – Andria Morales 







1 comment :

  1. You are not less because you don't speak spanish. And it also means you can't be proud of who you are. Don't feel ashamed. If you have a desire to learn, the opportunity is always there and you can always be fluent. It's never impossible nor too late. Unfortunately not many hispanics see this..which is sad.

    ReplyDelete