Monday, March 11, 2013

Black is Beautiful



We all know about the different types of bullying that takes place online. But let me share a different kind that I have noticed, and it doesn't seem to be going away. It's the bullying of Black women online, done by Black men and women of other races.

I have had a twitter account for a little over three years now and a constant topic that people tweet about is how Black women are ugly, have attitudes, have no hair, and are ghetto. I recently saw someone tweet that a certain reality show was fake because the Black women on the show were not being loud or fighting with each other. Yes, we all know reality shows are fake, but I was shocked that this guy would tweet something so inappropriate. But then I thought, if he only sees negative images of Black women, then I really can't blame him.





But besides that, it also shocks me to see so many Black men tweet negative stuff about Black women. Of course preference of who to date is every one's free choice, but that doesn't mean you have to bash something that you don't like (I previously wrote about this here).

Some would say this is a form of self hate, as in these men are Black and they hate Black women so they hate themselves. I just call it SAD.

It's sad on so many levels. One being the fact that there are probably many Black men that simply go along with this trend of tweeting rude things about Black women because they want to be relevant on twitter.

The statement in the picture above is so true. Black women are constantly told they are not pretty or worthy in several different ways. Hip Hop music videos are a perfect example of this, and that relates back to the post I did the other day about Kendrick Lamar.

I never really paid much attention to the different campaigns like My Back is Beautiful and Black Girls Rock  because I never really felt it was something I needed to hear for myself, as myself confidence is just fine. But I now see why these kinds of campaigns are necessary.

When the world is constantly telling you you're not pretty. And you're constantly being portrayed in movies and on TV as crazy Black woman, it's good to have someone counteract that and tell you the opposite about yourself. -------------> Part 2



No comments :

Post a Comment