Tuesday, February 5, 2013

My Road To Brooklyn ~ Part II


I spent a good portion of 2011 fasting and sowing seeds for life direction, and seeking answers from God as to what my purpose was. Then in April of 2011 while at work, I was reading singer Mashonda’s blog, like I had always done and it hit me. I got the idea to start my own blog. (Looking back I know the Holy Spirit prompted me to start it). So I started it, and posted my first entry on May 1, 2011. At the time, I figured I would use it to just write about random topics that caught my interest.

Fast forward to August 15, 2011. I remember sitting on my couch in my apartment in Long Beach, CA and clear as ever in my mind, out of nowhere, I thought “I want to be a writer.” I then thought back to the time when I was in 5th grade and I entered a speech writing contest and won. I thought back to high school when I always got A's on my essays. I thought back to college when a friend read one of my reports and said, “You’re a good writer.” I thought back to one of my college teachers enjoying my essay so much that she had the school newspaper publish it. I thought back to my Pastor telling me she had a vision of me writing a book about her life story.








All these memories came back to me and I started to think, “Why didn’t I realize my passion before? Why hadn’t all of this feedback resonated with me?” (I think God was continually revealing my passion to me, but I was too busy not listening and missed it).

Either way, it was finally clear to me. So I figured I would use my blog to practice and develop my writing skills. I also thought about taking a few writing classes too. I found a writing school, but then opted not to take classes because I had already obtained my Master’s Degree and wanted to be done with school.


A few weeks later I was on the phone with my mother and she was telling me how she recommended to a friend of hers that they should take some refresher courses to help with their career choice. As she said that, the Holy Spirit told me I needed to do the same. And I thought back to the writing school I had previously found. I knew this was something I had to do, so I immediately called and signed up for a class. I know it was ordained for me to go to this school because when I called to sign up the woman I spoke to told me they were about to start a five week course on how to get articles published online and in magazines and newspapers (perfect timing!).

This was the first time in a long time that I felt like I was on the right track. After the five week course ended, I made the decision that I was going to pursue my writing and was going to start taking the necessary steps to move to NYC. I ended up taking a few more classes at the writing school and in a span of six months I learned the basics of freelance writing. Determination was in me and I was excited.

2012 started and it was time for me to get things in order and prepare to move. I started giving my mother money from my pay check to put aside for my move to NYC. I was encouraged and was preparing myself for when God was ready to move me. My plan was to leave my job at the end of July and move out of my apartment, then stay with my parents for a few weeks, then move to NYC by mid-August. I had everything planned out and was working towards my goal.

May of 2012 came and things at work got really bad. The client I was working for made major changes and the department that I supervised was cut from four down to two people. But the work load increased. I was stressed out and was confused. I tried to stay focused and think about the fact that I only had a few more months to go, but everyday became increasingly worse than the previous.






Part 3



No comments :

Post a Comment