Sunday, November 25, 2012

It's Tradition



Tradition: the handing down of information, beliefs, and customs by word of mouth or by example from one generation to another without written instruction.

My parent's generation was the first to come to the United States from Panama. When my generation was growing up my Mother and my Aunts started teaching us about our culture and where we come from. One thing we did was perform traditional Panamanian Tipico dances.





This video is similar to what we did as kids.



At the time I was less than trilled to participate, and of course my cousins and I were all forced by our parents. But looking back I am thankful for the experience and am glad the tradition and information about my heritage was passed down to me.

Now that my generation is older, the tradition is being passed down again. My Mother and Aunts are again teaching the children in my family the same dances I learned as a kid. It's really nice to see my nephew and little cousins dressed up and dancing, as I once did.

The new generation:















Here is a picture of me and my Brother back in the day when we participated. 



The tradition and the cultural relevance stuck with me into my adult years, as it's a part of who I am.








No comments :

Post a Comment