Sunday, October 14, 2012

What's In A Name?


For some women taking their husband's last name is an automatic move once their married. And for other women it's important that they keep their own last name. So then I ask, What's in a name? Well a name is very important. Not just a first name, but a last name too. 

When I was younger I always said when I got married I would never change my last name. For no other reason than the fact that I'm use to my first and last name TOGETHER. 
I don't have a middle name so these two names are all I have. 
And the thought of me being Tamika ______ (fill in the blank) seemed so weird to me. 





But as I've grown up, I've learned. I've learned that there is a God intended reason as to why a woman takes on her husband's last name. It's a covering that is transferred from her father to her husband. Hence, why a woman changes her last name from her father's to her husband's. It also shows the world that the wife and husband are on the same accord.  

The husband is the head of the family so it only make sense that everyone in that family has the same last name as him. What sense would it make to the kids for them to have the same last name as their father, but their mother has a different one. Again, it's about everyone being on the same accord... 
a family unit.

What I don't like is when women that don't understand this try to flip it and say a man is trying to control them by making them change their last name to his. I don't understand how it's a form of control. If a woman accepts a wedding proposal then she must have decided that she was ready to spend the rest of her life with this person and be a family. So why go through all the steps of being one with a man and NOT change your last name? I don't get it.

I once heard a woman say that she didn't change her last name because she didn't want to give up her independence. In my mind I thought "Well Duh! When you get married that is exactly what you're doing.You're become one with another person." Those independent days are gone.

I don't claim to be an expert on this stuff. I just know what I believe and I feel in these days when marriage is so scarce; it's an honor for a man to want to actually give his last name to a woman. 
And it's also and honor for a woman to accept it. 







No comments :

Post a Comment