Monday, May 21, 2012

Race & The White House


A few weeks ago one of my favorite blog sites "Madame Noire" posted an article titled: "Would Barack Obama have been elected president if he were married to a white woman?" I thought this was such a good topic of conversation that I had to share my thoughts about it.

I personally have never been one to care about who a black man chooses to date, as their choice does not pay my rent on the 1st, nor put gas in my car. But I do know plenty of black women that do not like to see black men with women of other races. And to some degree I can understand their point of view.






But I wonder, would the black community have been as proactive in electing President Obama had Michelle been a white women...

Personal preference is different for all, and we are all free to choose who we want to be with. However, personally speaking, as a black women I love to see black love (as I previously wrote about: Here). But the race of the President's wife would not have been a determining factor for my vote. But, I think for some black women and even for some black men, it would have been.

Yes I definitely feel President Obama's campaign would have ran completely different if Michelle were white. And yes I feel some black people's opinion of him would have been skewed because of it. I also think some white people's opinion of him would also have been skewed too. As some of them already have a negative opinion of him because his mother is white.

As much as we want to live in a world that does not see race, it will never happen. Which leads me to ask, are we ever going to fully live out MLK's dream of race not being an issue?

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."- MLK


Madame Noire article: Here




1 comment :

  1. The truth is Obama would have not been elected.The crude truth in the eyes of most black people is, the only way to understand a black household is to come from a black household. Also that means date black, marry black, reproduce black & die black. I see it all the time when a black guy tries to speak on black issues yet married to a different race, he tends to get side stared. Their point tends to fall on deaf ears and come across as having no life experience behind it. And if you know black folk the rule is...if you're not living it you can't speak on it.
    I personally have loved the taste of a lot of ice cream flavors ;) but eventually I had to make a choice. There is nothing wrong with following your heart, but you will sacrifice part of you once the choice is made, one that I could not do. I knew from my previous black marriage that being married takes enough sacrifice of time, mental and personal space so to have to sacrifice the only thing I really own...I tried..too much of a disconnect.

    ReplyDelete