Monday, March 26, 2012

Trayvon Martin


I know everyone feels a certain way about this situation, and I was trying to keep my opinion to myself because I did not want to ruffle any feathers. But this is my blog so here goes:

What happened: As we all know there are three sides to a story, each person's version and the truth. I am not taking George Zimmerman's side at all because I don't feel there is any justification for killing unarmed Trayvon Martin. But I think it's important that people realize there are always different sides to a story. By now we have all heard the 911 calls from Zimmerman and the neighbors, but no one actually knows what happened when Zimmerman approached Trayvon.





As for the neighbors, their perception of what happened can go either way, based on when they started to hear or see the situation unfold. Did anyone see when Zimmerman got out of his car and start running towards Trayvon? If so, their version of the story would be completely different from someone who may have only seen Zimmerman and Trayvon on the ground fighting. Some can say "Yes I saw them fighting," but have no idea what caused the fight. Which would validate Zimmerman's self defense claim. Others can say "Yes I saw Zimmerman follow, attack, and kill Martin." And others can say "I heard a young person crying out for help." The point is it's all about perception. And this is why a thorough investigation is necessary.

Someone needs to take all these points of view into consideration and figure out what really happened. I think it's horrible that the Sanford, FL police department would just let Zimmerman go because he said he acted in self defense. To me that is blatant racism on the part of the police department. Because if Zimmerman were black and Trayvon had been white this case would have been done and Zimmerman would be awaiting trial.

Self Defense: I get that Zimmerman was patrolling his neighborhood and that's fine. And even if he felt Trayvon was a threat, I see nothing wrong with him calling the police. As that is what the Neighborhood Watch is suppose to do. But when Zimmerman took things into his own hands is where I have a problem. Since when is the Neighborhood Watch suppose to run after people or kill them?

The police said Zimmerman had a broken nose, which is why they believe he acted in self defense. But since when does getting beat up mean you have to retaliate with murder? If I'm walking home minding my own business and some man starting running after me and we end up on the ground, I am going to kick, punch, spit, dig my nails into them, and do whatever else I need to do get free. Why aren't the police considering the fact that maybe Trayvon was acting in self defense? Just because he is not here to say it, does not mean the police should not be considering his side of the story.

The Hoodie: By all means wear your hoodies and support this case. The hoodie is a symbol of support for the situation as a whole.






Fox News host Geraldo Rivera tweeted the following red statements:

“I am urging the parents of black and Latino youngsters particularly not to let their children go out wearing hoodies. I think the hoodie is as much responsible for Trayvon Martin‘s death as much as George Zimmerman was.”

Lets be real and keep it 100% honest. As much as we hate to admit it we all stereotype people by the way they look/dress. A hoodie, yes of course is used to keep someone warm, but it is also used when someone is trying to conceal themselves from others. Imagine being in the bank and someone walks in with their hoodie up, you are going to become very aware of that person's every move while in the bank.

It's just like the women that dress provocatively, they get judged. Or the guys that wear their pants low and show their underwear, they also get judged. I'm not saying Trayvon was wrong in any way for what he had on, but the way we wear our clothes does make a statement about us.

Geraldo kind of has a point, he just needed to say it a little more clearly and go into more detail. And he probably should have used a different medium, other than Twitter. Regardless, I think all parents (not just black and Latino) need to have a conversation about clothing & appearances with their children because it can be matter of life or death.


“Trayvon Martin, God bless him, an innocent kid, a wonderful kid, a box of Skittles in his hands. He didn’t deserve to die. But I bet you money, if he didn’t have that hoodie on, that nutty neighborhood watch guy wouldn’t have responded in that violent and aggressive way."

I would have to disagree with Geraldo on this statement. Based on information I have heard about Zimmerman, I feel his actions would have been the same regardless of what Trayvon was wearing. Malcolm and MLK wore suits and they still got killed. In this specific situation I don't feel the hoodie mattered. If Trayvon had on a regular sweater he still would have caught Zimmerman's attention.

I think Zimmerman needs to stand trial. He killed an unarmed child for NO REASON. When did that become ok?

Side note: It's good to see black people rally together for an important cause!


"No, no, we are not satisfied, and we will not be satisfied until justice rolls down like waters and righteousness like a mighty stream."- MLK

No comments :

Post a Comment