Monday, February 13, 2012

Envy, Jealousy, and Hate



Envy: A feeling of discontent with regard to another's advantages, success, possessions, etc.

Boy oh boy when that green-eyed monster gets a hold of people it can be dangerous! Whether you refer to it as hating or jealousy, the bottom line is it's a nasty characteristic to have. I know we all experience times when we want something someone else has, but being outright nasty to that person is unnecessary. Envy is something I never really understood. I think it's something people do without thinking about, as if it's second nature to them. 





Recognizing envy is still something that is hard for me to do. It usually comes across to me that someone is being mean for no apparent reason. And when it happens to me, I often think "what do I have that they want?" Then I think twice and realize I have accomplished a lot and will continue to do so (not that I'm bragging). Nothing about me is complacent, so moving to the next level is something I have to keep striving for. I used to think this was a quality that everyone had...

But when hate gets thrown my way I realize that is not the case. If I worked hard to graduate from college and worked even harder to obtain my Master's Degree, what's the problem? And if I paid my dues at my job and got promoted to the Supervisor of my department, why are others envious? I put in my time! I guess what I'm really not understanding is if I put in the work and others CAN do the same, why be mad at my accomplishments? Or the accomplishments of others?

Maybe this is something I will truly never understand and part of me doesn't really care to. I look at the people that are currently where I want to be as inspiration and as a guide. I look to see how they made it and I figure out how I can factor that into what I'm trying to do. I do not hate them because of where they are or what they have. When haters are so focused on what others are doing, their mind is too cluttered to realize they too can obtain the same things...

My point: don't be envious of others. Whether they worked for what they have or even if it was handed to them of a silver platter- it's not your concern. If you want what they have, plain and simple- go out and work for it.


"Envy is the art of counting the other fellow's blessings instead of your own." -Harold Coffin



No comments :

Post a Comment