Monday, November 28, 2011

How Will You Be Remembered?



Earlier this month Rapper/Actor Heavy D passed away and though I have been a fan of his since the first time I heard "We Got Our Own Thang," I didn't really want to post anything about his passing. But the out pouring of love for him that happened after he died caused me to think about his legacy and the lasting legacy we all leave behind after we die.

In the weeks following Heavy D's death I realized how influential he was to not only the music industry, but also to the people that knew him personally. Since Heavy D's passing there have been so many people on twitter commenting about what a great person he was and how often he inspired them. Heavy D was so influential and positive that to this day people are still re-twitting his last tweet, in which he wrote “Be Inspired." If you passed away tomorrow, would your last Facebook status or tweet be something positive????





Whether people were talking about how he helped them develop their musical talents or about how great he was to just sit an talk to, it made me think about how I will be remembered when I’m gone. Will people have anything nice to say about me? Will someone want to follow in my footsteps? Would I have inspired anyone? Would I have left a lasting impression on this world?
My point in all this is to say that we should all take the time to be a good example and think twice about the things we do and say. Regardless of if we are or are not in the public eye, we never know who is watching us and how they are being influenced by our words and actions. There is nothing wrong with making a positive, lasting impression in the lives of others.  

"It was all a dream, I used read Word Up magazine, Salt N Pepa and Heavy D up in the limousine..." -Notorious BIG

RIP




No comments :

Post a Comment