Friday, June 17, 2011

Everyone’s Entitled to Their Opinion


"In my fight against terrorism, to me, the biggest terrorist is Obama in the United States of America. For me, I’m trying to fight the terrorism that’s actually causing the other forms of terrorism. The root cause of the terrorism is the stuff that you as a government allow to happen and the foreign policies that we have in place in different countries that inspire people to become terrorists. And it’s easy for us because it’s really just some oil, which we can really get on our own.”
This is a quote from Chicago rapper Lupe Fiasco’s CBS interview, which aired on June 7, 2011.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter who it offends. No one is perfect; from President Obama to Lupe Fiasco, to the billions of people on this planet.  However, as in any situation everyone wants someone to blame when things do not go right or as planned. But blaming one single person for the actions and hatred that people of other countries harbor and act upon does not make any sense to me. I am very unclear as to why Lupe thinks President Obama is a terrorist. How can President Obama be responsible for the perception of the United States when certain issues were taking place before he was in office?



Fads, traditions, and styles will continue to change. Things that were once deemed inappropriate have now become the norm in our society. People have to realize that as the United States continues to sway more and more liberal, the amount of people with hatred towards the U.S. will only increase. People of other countries see the way we live our oppression free lives and think of us as no-moral having sinners. I kind of understand Lupe’s point about the United States’ policies in other countries (I may need to do additional research on foreign policies), but I hardly feel the policies equate to terrorism. And the same goes for the President. I have no problem saying I do not agree with certain choices President Obama has made while in office, but I do not think it's fair to label him a terrorist.
If Lupe and others want to change things that are happening, instead of slandering the President, go speak to Congress. Or he should spread his views in a positive way to get people to understand where he is coming from, and get them to support his cause. But I doubt Lupe will ever do anything like this, especially since he said he find politics "meaningless" and will never vote in a Presidential Election...
Lyrics from Lupe Fiasco's song "Words I Never Said,"
"Gaza strip was getting bombed, Obama didn’t say s--t
Thats why I aint vote for him, next one either
I’ma part of the problem, my problem is I’m peaceful
And I believe in the people."
There are many people who feel the government acted slowly or poorly when handling certain events of the last 10 years. Then there are those who feel the government is actually responsible for certain past events, and Lupe seems to be alluding to that with his comments and lyrics.
Again, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Regardless of how I and others feel about Lupe calling the President a terrorist, I have to applaud Lupe for speaking out and having an opinion on this topic. It's good to see a young adult thinking about how people in other countries are affected by the United States’ decisions and actions. When a person's opinion is random and a tad bit off, it usually sparks healthy conversation and brings attention to the subject matter. I think people should read the lyrics to Lupe song, "Words I Never Said." Hopefully the song's subject matter will open people's eyes to what is going on with our government, foreign policies, and our media.
“If a man isn’t willing to take some risk for his opinions, either his opinions are no good or he’s no good- Ezra Pound
Additional Note: After receiving much expected backlash for his comments, yesterday Russell Simmons interviewed Lupe and gave him a platform to clarify and thoroughly explain his position. See that interview: Here  






No comments :

Post a Comment