Thursday, July 21, 2011

Ten Years Later


Two thousand and one was a year filled with a lot of memorable events, including the tragedy that took place on September 11. But for me 2001 will always stick out in my mind for other reasons, the main one being it was the year I ended a significant chapter of my life.

June 21, 2011 was 10 years to the day that I graduated from Murrieta Valley High School. Senior year was probably the only time in my life when I was completely carefree. I made it a point to enjoy every minute of it because I knew once I graduated and went to college those relaxed days of my parents paying for everything would quickly disappear. So I took the time to enjoy my friends and all the activities that went along with being a senior in High School.



I liked the fact that my High School planned several activities for us: Prom, two different Grad Night events, a pool party, and a bunch of other stuff that I can’t really remember. As I look back on Prom and Grad Night at Disneyland… both events were overrated. If I could go back I may have passed on attending them. Not that anything bad happened, but they  just didn’t live up to the hype that the senior classes before me portrayed them to be. But when you’re a senior you want to participate in everything and that’s what I did.
Besides the activities the school planned, my friends and I also came up with our own “events”. Things like having our own senior ditch days (plural), going to Knott’s Berry Farm, leaving school early to go to the beach, or going to San Diego to see 112 and Eve in concert.  I remember my friends and I just always trying to have fun! And since many of us had our own cars, we always tried to do stuff out of the city of Murrieta…
The most important event besides all that I have already talked about was my 18th birthday. This was another important event that added to the closing of this chapter in my life. My birthday is in May so it took place during all the year-end/senior activities. To celebrate my birthday I had a party in the garage at my parent’s house. It was great, all my friends and family came. I loved very minuet of it until I had to call the police because uninvited guests were trying to fight each other in the street in front of the house. But Besides that, I had a great and memorable 18th birthday.
Looking back, I appreciate that time of my life for what it was, but I definitely have moved on from it. Sure I have a few friends that have kept in contact with and still hang out with; and I am thankful that I have grown with those people. We have created continually memories that have surpassed High School. My relationships with these few people will continue to grow and I am grateful that I can say I have been friends with them for 10 years now.
My class’s 10 year reunion is taking place in November and I have no desire to attend it. It’s not that I am trying to hide or that I don’t want to associate with the people that are a part of my great memories. It’s just that I prefer to remember everyone just as I do now... young and happy.

Here are some of my favorite songs from 2001, enjoy!








1 comment :

  1. Yup Yup...I remember that birthday & the videos are classics.

    ReplyDelete